Saturday, July 21, 2007

some thoughts on circular needles and knitting lace...

In her pattern, Anne recommends using knitting needles with a sharply tapered point. Since the Addi lace needles came out on the market, there's been a lot of discussion about them and other needles that lace knitters might prefer. Sivia Harding wrote a glowing review of the Addi's on her blog. Sally Rainey compared the Addi lace needles to the Knit Picks needles here, giving a slight edge to the Addi's. The Knit Picks needles are favorites for a number of lace knitters, and I've been using the regular Addi Turbos for years and have loved the smoothness of the join, which I find to be the best there is. But I've also used Inox Express and Inox Regulars (as well as Addi Natura bamboo circs) for many projects. Long before the Knit Picks and Addi lace needles were on the market, Inox Regulars, with their grey coating, were considered by Elizabeth Zimmermann and Meg Swansen to be the needle of choice for lace knitters because their points are noticeably sharper than those of the Express or Addi Turbos. The grey coating also provides a bit more drag which can be very helpful when knitting with slippery laceweight. Inox is still the only brand of metal circular knitting needle that Schoolhouse Press carries.

I will be starting the Bee Fields on a 24-inch Inox grey because I already have one, but I did buy a 32-inch #5 Addi lace needle the other day since I did not have this size already. I'll be doing my own side-by-side comparison when the yarn arrives and I begin the knitting. I may even do this beforehand since I've been thinking that I'll practice the set-up rows on some yarn that I have on hand already.

5 comments:

lv2knit said...

I absolutely love the new Addi Lace Turbos and am using them on my current, non-lace project (The Kauni Cardigan). I love the sharp tip. I bought my first set for the purpose of knitting the Peacock Feathers Shawl and now really love them for everything.

Mary in VA said...

I'm using the new Addi Lace on MS3 and really enjoying them. Will consider getting more when I find them, but not having luck except in 47" length at the YS I've been in.

Have you tried Suzanne's ebony? I hear great things about them and found a size 4 in a YS last week. Now I'm struggling with the urge to cast on something new just to try them!

annmarie said...

I relied heavily on comments such as yours, Susan and Mary, in deciding whether to invest in more of these needles. And, no, Mary, I haven't tried the Suzanne's ebony needles. They're certainly lovely to look at! :) Let me know how you like them for lace.

lv2knit said...

Actually, you were right the first time! I do not even own the KnitPicks needles. Sally did a lengthy comparison of the two different brands: http://theraineysisters.com/?p=127. Sorry about the confusion with the two Raineys!!

annmarie said...

Oh, my. Well, I think I've finally got it straight which Rainey sister wrote about the needles! I'm very clear in my head the differences between the two sisters but somehow got the needle comments muddled. :)