Thursday, October 11, 2007

Chart reading trouble

I had cast on a couple of weeks ago for the triangular version of this shawl and then tried to start going on the chart for the setup section.

I am having trouble reconciling the written instructions with the charted ones. Just on row one alone it looks like:

Written Row 1(1st 6 instructions-row1-WS)=k1, p3, k2

Chart Row 1(1st 6 instructions-row1-WS)=No Stitch 2, k1, p3

Can anyone help me and let me know what I am doing (or how I am reading this) wrong? I am not an experienced lace knitter, but I did finish the MS3 using the chart only. I guess I got a little cocky.

I can see by all the lovely shawls out there that it is definitely something going on with me and not with the pattern.

Any help at all would be very, very gratefully accepted!

Thank you so much!
Connie in Palo Alto

3 comments:

dorothy in wyoming said...

No stitch are simply place holders. They are used to make other stitches in the chart line up. Since this is not needed in written instructions they are not included.

As far as actually knitting that row both are saying the same thing K1 p3 and so on

hth
dorothy in wyoming

annmarie said...

I'll just add to Dorothy's explanation that a no-stitch grey box on the chart is a place holder only on the chart. It literally isn't there on your knitting at that row. If you look up the chart along the same column, though, you'll see that where there was a grey box before, there's now a stitch to work since your shawl is growing wider by 2 stitches every other row because of those yarnovers. Anne also uses grey boxes to show where you should place a marker in your row, but she labels these as such. :)

Not That Kat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.