Thursday, October 4, 2007

Springtime shawl finished in time for fall!

The color of this shawl makes me think of spring. It is the color of the new leaves as they first come out on the trees in the Northeast, and it is the color that cheers us with the knowledge that winter is over and summer is on its way. (The color is actually lighter than it looks in this photo.)

This was probably the most challenging lace project I have ever undertaken, but because of Anne's clear instructions and excellent charts (after I blew them up enough to be able to read them) it wasn't as difficult as it appeared at first.

Here are a few tips for anyone just starting the Bee Fields Shawl:
  • Be generous with stitch markers, whether you use pretty ones or the cheapo plastic variety or slices of drinking straws
  • Use the needles with the sharpest tips you can find, especially for the Bees in Field section. I used Addi Lace Needles and can't imagine having done it without them.
  • Follow Anne's instructions even when they don't seem to make any sense at all. She knows what she's doing.
  • Lifelines are probably a good idea (though I didn't use them because there was no plain K or plain P row to weave the lifeline through)
Thank you Anne for your wonderful pattern!

(There is a little more info on my blog.)

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow, your shawl turned out really well! Seeing it makes me want to get back to mine, which has taken back seat to a couple of other projects recently.

Marlene said...

It's beautiful. When I'm finished my stole I'll have to seriously consider doing the triangle version too.

EricaLynn said...

Your shawl is gorgeous! Wonderful job!

annmarie said...

What a lovely thing it is! :)

SYLVIE said...

How absolutely beautiful! and the color is just gorgeous!