Saturday, September 8, 2007

Knitting gymnastics

I really feel like I am doing gymnastics when I am knitting this shawl. It involves doing physically impossible things, twisting into ridiculous contortions, having to have faith that in the end you will be both intact and happy with the result. The first time I had this feeling was with the p2tog tbl in the bee swarm section. In fact, when I encounter that symbol in the chart, I read it as "backbend." I think I am doing it correctly, because that section does look swarm-ish. Thank you, Ann, for your explicit instructions on how to do it.

Little did I know what was waiting for me in the Bee in Fields section! When I first read the description of the Bee Panel section I was totally bewildered. The only way to do it was just to plunge right in and assume that Anne knew what she was doing. I have now completed the first repeat if this section, and they do in fact look like bees. (Maybe it's not so obvious in the photo, but stretched out it looks much better.)

In general I am finding this pattern difficult but exhilarating to knit. Maybe that is how real gymnasts feel.

4 comments:

annmarie said...

Leaping in with blind faith really is the best course of action sometimes, right? ;)

Carrie said...

I've only glanced at the bee in fields section (I'm still in the swarm), and it looks tricky. I like that the pattern gets progressively harder--by the time those tricky P2tbls come up, it's much too late to turn back!

Opal said...

i totally get what you're saying, but like you said it really is exhilarating. i wish there were more patters out there like this!

DebbieB said...

Ha! I know exactly what you mean - often when encountering a symbol for a recurring complicated stitch, I call it a "thingy" in my head. ;-)