Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Another New-bee!

Hello everyone!

I am new here, and I have a couple of questions. I am a dyer, so I plan to dye yarn for the Honeybee Stole. I am debating, though, on using fingering weight or laceweight yarn.

I plan to use Knitpicks Bare for my base yarn. I prefer the look of fuller stitches, and this is once of my first (although not *the* first) lace projects I will be doing, although I have knit for some time.

What do you guys think? Since the called for yarn is close to a fingering weight, I am thinking of doing the smaller size stole in a fingering weight yarn, since this would be worn with a coat.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Thank you!

Sarah

3 comments:

Becki said...

Hi, I am not in the KAL, just watching it. I am using the bare laceweight on size 5 needles, and just got to the bee-in-field section. It is working up to be a pretty substantial fabric, and rather large. I think if you went with fingering, you would need some big needles, and you would pretty much have a blanket (even with the "petite" size). Maybe you could swatch with some fingering weight you have on hand, to get a feel for the size you could expect. Good luck!

annmarie said...

I think you should go with a yarn you feel happy with! :) You don't necessarily have to go way up in needle size. I knit lacy socks with fingering weight all the time using size 0 and 1 needles (although, of course, with socks, the lacy texture of the pattern opens up considerably when the socks are worn and, thus, stretched open a bit). I agree that you should swatch with the fingering weight yarn and would recommend that you use the US5 needles that the pattern suggests since you say that you prefer the look of 'fuller stitches'. Using the heavier weight of yarn, you'll sacrifice some of the 'openness' of the lace pattern, but if you're happy with the compromise, then that would seem to settle the question, right? :) That said, I definitely wouldn't suggest going way up in needle size since, as bex suggests, you'd end up with a pretty large size shawl. And, once you get a gauge swatch you may find that you'd be better off going with the petite version. :)

annmarie said...

oh,yes...I forgot to add something! Be sure to post pictures of your dyework. :)