Sunday, August 19, 2007

Thank you for the invitation!

I am a newbie lace knitter and loving it although challenged at times ;p). Working on my first lace project Merino Wool Socks from Favorite Socks. Learned some important lessons since I couldn't possibly have made worse decisions! For your first project: 1) Don't choose a dark yarn! Hard to see! I chose Lorna's Laces in Black Watch. 2) Don't have a learn a new cast-on method if possible. I had never done long tail cast-on before. Learned knitted cast -on from my grandmother. 3) If you don't already know how to read charts this will be a challenge! 4) Size 1 needles are not optimal for first time out. Well as Dilbert says Bwah ha ha ha - had to tink the dang thing 20 times before I got to the heel! Looking forward to knitting the shawl Very much. It is so beautiful I want to touch it asap.

1 comment:

annmarie said...

Wow, black yarn for a first lace project is a real challenge! Over the years I've heard some good suggestions such as keeping a white cloth under your knitting, having *very* good lighting, and using light colored needles. Even so, I think it's a real challenge.
One other suggestion I have is to use even more markers than Anne's directions call for. I've found it very helpful to use markers in the main section of the shawl to mark off each of the 12-stitch repeats. I didn't find I needed them so much in the Beehive section, but I'm glad I'm using them in the Bee Swarm part. I've noticed in a few other photos that I'm not the only one doing this. :)