Friday, August 3, 2007

The Gordion Knot

Hello everyone! I'm very excited to start this shawl. Just on a lark, I stopped in a local yarn shop, hoping to find something worthy of this beautiful design, and I think I did. Behold:

spun sunshine

This is "Re Fa" by Baruffa, which is 100% merino wool...and, oh, is it soft! The lady in the yarn store recommended winding it by hand, because it needs to be treated very gently. I took her word for it, but made the mistake of tugging at the loose end with a little too much enthusiasm and ended up with a huge tangled mass of extra fine merino in my lap. One-thousand four-hundred and sixty yards of knots is a whole heckuva lot, in case you didn't know. (For the curious, 0r the bored, or anyone seriously needing distraction from a heap of knotty yarn...that's 0.829525 mi or 1.33502 km.)

After several hours of working away at it, I've almost got a nice, usable ball of yarn. The good news is I still looooove the yarn. That's a positive sign when beginning a project as involved as the bee fields shawl :)

P.S. I've also created a button for the knit-along, which you're welcome to use on your own websites.

beefields

10 comments:

annmarie said...

Gorgeous yarn and worth the effort of hand-winding, I'm sure! And thank you so much for the button! It looks great and is just what we needed. It *does* look like I'll be needing some help to get it on the KAL page, though. I uploaded it to Flickr as you had suggested, but got lost from there. :/ We'll talk...

margaret in manhattan said...

beautiful! I don't know how to add photos here, but if you head over to my blog, you'll see the latest contender for the bees ...

annmarie said...

'Bee' sure to put one of the photos from your blog on a post of your own, Margaret, so we can all suffer along with you in your indecision...;)

Amy Stanton said...

No problem! I'm glad to help, annmarie.

Margaret, you've got some really lovely yarn too! wow.

Ibunnysavetroy said...

O my god, that is such a beautful colour!

Amy Stanton said...

It's like wooly sunshine, isn't it? so pretty!

jenifleur said...

I just bought several hanks of that cashwool, too. If people are looking for it, it's usually found under the name Lane Borgosesia by Trendsetter. I'll be sure and wind mine slowly and gently-there's NO WAY I'm doing it by hand!

I can't wait to see yours develop, I'm curious about how this yarn looks knitted.

Susan said...

What a pretty color, like honey!

Madame Purl said...

Totally gorgeous yarn. Thank you so much for the button.

rabbitIng said...

lovely, just lovely. i'm new to blogging and don't know how to do the button thing - any advice, please? ;S