Sunday, August 19, 2007

Just Starting

With the completion of Swan Lake (a.k.a. Mystery Stole 3) I can now dive whole-heartedly into Bee Fields. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw its picture and am happily knitting away, even though my husband keeps asking how many shawls I really need!

I am totally in love with the yarn (Wooly Wonka Tupelo Gold), which is extremely soft, and the color changes are much more subtle in the knit fabric than they were in the unwound skein.

My biggest problem so far is the "winglets" in the beehive section. They look really loose and sloppy, and I can't figure out how to tighten them up... unless I am just supposed to assume that they will fix themselves when the shawl is blocked. Here is a closeup:



I struggled getting started because of some confusion over counting the BO2 as the first Knit stitch, but once I got that in my head, it has been pretty smooth sailing.

If any of you have tips for potential pitfalls, I would love to read about them!

1 comment:

annmarie said...

Oh that silly husband of yours, asking how many shawls you need...there are still 365 days in a year (and 366 every four years), right? ;)
I'm a pretty tight knitter, so my winglets are fairly "compact" although I think that I also might be giving a bit of a tug to the yarn after I do the second BO before moving on to the next stitch. Don't know if that is making any difference. If all the winglets are a little loose on your shawl (and I can't see that they look sloppy) then at least they're consistent. And my experience with blocking lace is that a lot of things *do* work themselves out very nicely.
Congratulations on finishing Swan Lake! :)