Friday, August 10, 2007

just a reminder...

Be sure to check Anne's errata page every now and then. The link to this is in the sidebar under Other Useful Links. Anne has added 3 corrections just since the beginning of August.

Also, it's been pointed out here by jenifleur that the instructions can be a bit confusing when making the little "winglets" at the edges.



In order to create the "winglet" you cast on 2 stitches at the end of a row (using the backward loop method) and then promptly bind them off at the beginning of the next row. Once you've bound off these two stitches, you actually have already done the k1 stitch that follows in the instructions.



If you do another k1, your stitch count will be off. So...once you have bound off those 2 stitches and have your little "winglet", go right to the p3 (on wrong side rows) or yo, sl1, k2tog, psso (on right side rows).

I don't mean to be 'beating a dead horse' here, but not everyone goes back and reads all the posts since the beginning when they join a knitalong, so I thought it bore repeating here. And, all this being said, I'd also like to encourage all of us not to sit in frustration and isolation whether it's a question about the knitting or about posting to the blog.

If I can't answer someone's question, no doubt many others can. :)
Bee jewelry by Caitlin Hyde

7 comments:

Madame Purl said...

Thanks for the reminder. Just got my kit and I didn't read this in an earlier post.

DebbieB said...

Yes - I had no idea how to handle the BO2 and still have 8 stitches available, so I slipped the second BO back on the needle and knit it. This makes my winglet a little different, but still cute. And I'm not going back to the beginning to fix the ones already done ;-) so I'm continuing to do it this way.

Thanks for posting this - you may save others from pulling their hair out.

annmarie said...

I once knit a circular shawl 80" in diameter and only realized about halfway through that I had been merrily knitting yo's that were supposed to be purled. Trust me, I did not go back and start over. So mine looks a bit different from the one in the book, but I can certainly live with that. :)

Frau Holda said...

my kit arrived today, lovely but I'm troubled.

I don't understand the errata dated 8/8/07. regarding page7. it says: rows 13 and 14 are not represented symmetically in the charts or the written instructions. then lists instructions for rows 12 and 13. what's the deal? why 12/13 is this a typo. is the chart wrong too?

do you find most of the errors occuring in the written instructions and that the charts are safe to use?

annmarie said...

What I'm find with this pattern is that I can't overthink things. For example, when I get to the rows where the placement of the markers changes, I don't try move them _before_ I start knitting. I just ignore the SM part of that row and drop the markers off my knitting as I come to them. In the following row, when I come to the SM I replace the markers in their new position. I'm using little copper ring markers that I can't remove from the knitting until I get to them.
As for the errata, I think Anne might just have mentioned that about rows 13 and 14 not being symmetrical in either the chart or the written directions because so often the two sides of a triangular shawl *are* mirror images.
In my copy of the pattern, the written instructions for rows 11 and 12 are within the instructions for row 10. Maybe this got fixed in later versions. On the order page, Anne says that any patterns ordered after the date of the errata will already have the corrections, but I think the copies included in the Wooly Wonka kits still need to be corrected using the errata.
My recommendation, for what it's worth, is just to find the part of the written instructions that need correcting, cross out the part that Anne provides the correction for and substitute the stuff she has bold-faced. Then just knit on! :) Oh, yes - to the best of my knowledge the charts are correct. Anyone had trouble with the charts?

annmarie said...

What I meant to say is 'what I'm *finding*...now for that second cup of coffee...

Reluctant Penguin said...

Thank you! I just started the shawl last night and frogged the first few rows 4 or 5 times because the stitch counts weren't coming out right, and it was because of BO2 and counting that as the first knit stitch. The pattern instructions do say to do that, but I found it very confusing. I wish I had found you BEFORE I started knitting!