Thursday, August 16, 2007

New-bee

I just joined the KAL, although I've been working on my bee fields shawl for a couple of weeks. I'm using Addi lace turbos size 5 with Schaefer Andrea (silk) in the Jeanette Rankin colorway, which I'm hoping will look like fields of wildflowers, but not too busy.

I knit the setup section at least 6 times, and yesterday I spent about 3 hours achieving my all time daily low of negative-9 rows in the beehive section. I even found a mistake in my lifeline row! At this rate, I will be the longest-lived KAL participant here.

Keep posting all your wonderful photos, and I will try to do the same when I get far enough to pull out the camera.

5 comments:

annmarie said...

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a rocky start! :(
Did you read the posts about the little quirk in the written directions? On the rows where you bind off the 2 stitches that you cast on at the end of the previous rows, the directions say "k1" right after "BO2". The thing is, after you have bound off the 2 stitches, you have _already_ worked that "k1" and should just skip it and move on to the next step. Was that the trouble?
I found a picture of the Jeanette Rankin colorway online, and it's a beauty! :)

meeshmom said...

No, I figured that one out pretty quickly, due to the stitch count. Somehow, I keep either dropping a yo or picking one up where it doesn't belong, so I'm trucking along with the right number of stitches until I look down and see the pattern isn't right somewhere down there. I've tried to ladder down (most of my 3 hours yesterday), but I can't seem to pick it back up correctly, and end up frogging back. I know that if I can get through the first section, I'll be fine, but I need to see where all the yarns are going "below" to fix problems "above." This is my second attempt at lace, so either I'll get better at it, or I'll keep spending most of my time for each project on the beginning of each section!

Carrie said...

Keep at it--I found that once I was past the setup section, it was a lot easier to read the lace. I'm still making some mistakes, but now I'm finding them when they're still fixable.

Carrie said...

Let the record show that immediately after saying that I'm finding errors in time to fix them, I've spent the last hour fixing a 2 yarn-over error a couple of rows down. Argh!

meeshmom said...

In that case, Carrie, I won't tell you that I made it through the first repeat of the beehive section and all seems to be well. Although I did recently figure out that one "mistake" I ripped back was actually fine in the first place.